Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My parents best revenge


I remember my mother saying more than once in my life, I can't wait until you have kids one day. Well guess what? One day has arrived, and so have our increased car insurance premiums. For those of you who have talked to me in the last week, you know this is my biggest complaint of the week.


  • Not the fact that we have put in a yard this week

  • Not the fact that it is the last week of school

  • Not the fact that we had to deal with an ex spouse this weekend (although this is my 2nd biggest complaint)

  • Not the fact that all of our children hate us (my response to this...cool stay in your rooms for the rest of your lives then)

  • Not even the fact that I have had at least 185 kids ask me to change thier grades this week. Nope, all of that is just great compared to my car insurance rates.
Being the model citizen that I am, when Corbin got his license I called my trusty insurance agent and asked him to add Corbin to our policy. The laws in Utah are kind of shady on this whole teen driver thing. Technically, your insurance follows your car, not the driver, as long as the driver has permission. So I originally thought, cool...I'll just wait until Corbin wrecks (notice I didn't say if, but when) and then say I gave him permission. The problem, I have discovered though is that insurance companies get cranky about teen drivers and if Corbin were to ever try to insure himself, it would show that he hadn't had insurance for years.

So back to me, being a model citizen. After hundreds of calls to my aforementioned trusty insurance agent, I finally caught him in his office between 2 and 3 pm one Tuesday. I guess those are his office hours. He told me he would take care of it and get me a great deal. Do you want to know what his great deal was? An increase in my premiums of $260 per month. Yeup, you heard me...TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY DOLLARS. That's triple what I currently pay. Needless to say, Corbin "currently has permission to drive my cars" and I am shopping for insuarance. So if you happen to be one of those "trusty insurance agents" looking to give me a great deal, lets have lunch. Let's just pick someplace that will be quick because I wouldn't want to interrupt you during your office hours.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you have a blog. It will be great to see what you guys are up to. Let me know when you find a good price for teen driver's insurance. Braxton gets his license in September. Scary!!

Allison Holt said...

Ha ha those insurance people will really get you... I had no idea how much stuff like that cost, until I got married. I can't imagine paying insurance for a teenager... I was on high risk for a few years....

Mama & Papa Griz said...

What no shout out to your Awsome SIL that is an insurance agent?! I am waiting for you to sign the papers and then YOU will not be paying those hefty rates! And just an FYI, I drove by the office today and again there was a note on the door- so I am assuming that you will not be getting a call from him today! :)

Arfmann Family said...

Michelle
I have been wondering why you haven't had a blog. What the crap is your email and I'll send you an invite to my blog. I've asked your mom for the email like 8 times, she can't ever remember. my email is arfmann@gmail.com. Also, congrats on Teacher of the Year!! Way Awesome!
PS our blog is arfmannfamily.blogspot.com
Hear from you soon.
Hollie

Anonymous said...

What in the heck?!? That's RIDICULOUS! Caden better get a job and start saving now for the next 8 years for his auto insurance.

Sheesh, it's not like you didn't have a bunch of other stuff on your mind, too. :)